Jump to Recipe
An Autumnal twist on everyone’s favorite: the Cobb Salad. In this recipe we have chopped butter lettuce, radicchio, roasted acorn squash, apples, dried cranberries and pepitas. And of course the incorporation of traditional Cobb Salad ingredients like bacon, hard boiled egg and grilled chicken. All tossed together in an easy homemade goat cheese vinaigrette.
We are just a few days away from Halloween now and it is painstakingly evident in every store I step foot, that the season of “Pumpkin Spice” is quickly being ushered away to make room for all things evergreen, glittery, and flocked with fluffy snow!
But before we all give way to the celebration of Autumn, will you please promise to try my Harvest Cobb Salad with a Goat Cheese Vinaigrette!!
If you are a Cobb salad lover, as I am, you will appreciate the slight switch up from the regular variety as you indulge in the flavors of the Fall season!
Lettuce: I went with a prepackage bag of butter lettuce and radicchio. I like the mild, tender butter lettuce against the bite and beautiful color that radicchio adds.
Grilled Chicken Breast: I seasoned it very simply with just kosher salt and black pepper. I did use a propane grill to cook the chicken, but searing inside on the stove top would be just fine too!
Apples: I chose to use one granny smith for a little tartness and one empire apple because that is the variety that I picked when we went apple picking! But feel free to use whichever you like or have on hand.
Roasted Acorn Squash: Squash is the obligatory vegetable of the season! To roast, cut acorn squash in half, remove seeds and stringy bits, slice, drizzle olive oil and salt and pepper and roast in 400° oven for 30 minutes. Remove from oven when vegetable is soft, and let cool before adding to salad.
Pepitas: Pepitas are pumpkin seeds that are harvested from a specific type of hull-less pumpkin variety. I used roasted and salted pepitas. I love adding these to salads, they add a great crunchy texture!
Dried Cranberries: No harvest style salad is complete without dried cranberries. Not only do they have great bite, but they add a sweet and tangy flavor and brilliant pop of color.
Hard Boiled Eggs: It’s pretty much a staple of a Cobb salad! They add a big boost of richness, and are packed with protein.
Bacon: Need I say more!?! I like to twist my bacon when baking. I find that i get a crispier result. It’s very easy to do, simply hold each end of the bacon and twist in opposite directions. Place on an aluminum lined (for easier clean up) baking sheet and cook at 400 until the bacon is nice and crispy, about 10-15 minutes.
Goat Cheese: I think the earthy tartness of a goat cheese like Chevre is a lovely complement to the other ingredients of this salad. I like it so much that I decided to incorporate it into the dressing that I whipped up to accompany the Harvest Cobb Salad.
OTHER SUGGESTIONS FOR INGREDIENTS:
If any of the elements in this salad is not your style- feel free to mix it up! Your world, your salad!
Here are a few suggestions:
Lettuce: Romaine, Kale, green leaf , or frisee’
Protein: Salmon or Shrimp
Fruits and Vegetables: Pears, figs, cherries, apriots, seedless grapes, butternut squash, delicata squash, jicama, roasted brussel sprouts
Nuts and seeds: Sunflower seeds, pecans, almonds, walnuts, dried cherries, dried apricots, dried blueberries
Cheese: Blue cheese, Manchego cheese, Romano cheese, Gorgonzola cheese
Goat Cheese Vinaigrette:
This is a super simple dressing that I whipped together on a whim! To make, combine goat cheese, apple cider vinegar and chopped herbs in small mixing bowl. All I had on hand was parsley but I would suggest using chives if you have them. The goat cheese will quickly dissolve into the vinegar. Whisk to combine, continue to whisk and gradually add in the olive oil until incorporated. Adjust seasoning with a pinch of salt and pepper.
More Recipes Like This:
AUTUMN KALE SALAD WITH MAPLE ROASTED SQUASH, WHOLE GRAINS, GRAPES AND APPLES
CAST IRON CHICKEN THIGHS WITH APPLE, GRAPE AND SAGE PAN SAUCE
SWISS CHARD AND POTATO SOUP WITH CHICKPEAS
Harvest Cobb Salad with Goat Cheese Vinaigrette
- 7 oz bag of lettuce i used butter and radicchio
- 1½ lbs chicken breast grilled
- 2 apples granny smith or apple of choice
- 2 oz goat cheese
- ½ cup pepitas
- 1 cup dried cranberries roughly chopped
- 1 roasted acorn squash cut into 1 inch pieces
- 4 hard boiled eggs sliced
- 5 slices bacon crispy and crumbled
- 3 oz goat cheese
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp parsley or chives chopped
- ½ cup olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
Prepare all Salad Ingredients:
- Season chicken with salt and pepper, grill or pan sear, let cool and then chop and set aside.
- Cut acorn squash in half, remove seeds and stringy bits, slice, drizzle olive oil and salt and pepper and roast in 400° oven for 30 minutes. Remove from oven when vegetable is soft. Cut into desired sized pieces
- Bake bacon slices on aluminum foil lined pan in the oven at 400° for 15 minutes, until crispy. Remove and let sit on paper towel lined plate to soak up some fat. Roughly chop and set aside
- Set eggs in pot with cold water, bring to boil . Let boil for 6-7 minutes, turn off heat, cover and let rest in hot water for 4 minutes. Remove from hot water and shock in ice water to make removing shell easier. Peel eggs, slice and set aside.
- Slice apples, and roughly chop dried cranberries
- In salad bowl of choice, combine : lettuce, chicken, eggs, bacon, apples, squash, cranberries, pepitas, and goat cheese crumbles. Divide amongst salad bowls or plates and dress with Goat Cheese Vinaigrette.
Goat Cheese Vinaigrette
- Combine goat cheese, apple cider vinegar and chopped herbs in small mixing bowl. Whisk to combine. Add olive oil and continue to whisk until combined. Adjust seasoning with a pinch of salt and pepper.