Roasted Chickpeas are a crispy, crunchy healthy snack are insanely addicting, guilt free and so easy to make yourself! Skip buying those over priced tiny bags at the grocery store and make a big batch for yourself!
Jump to Recipe
This is what happens when I go the grocery store without a list! I end up buying things I think I ran out of but really never did and end up with an overcrowded pantry and a need to get creative.
So I’ve got about 5 cans of chickpeas in my cabinet right now, and I need a quick way to use them up- and roasted, crispy crunchy chickpea snacks are just the thing!
HOW TO MAKE REALLY CRISPY CRUNCHY ROASTED CHICKPEAS
So there are two tricks in this recipe that give you an extra crisp result.
1 – You must dry the chickpeas. This is really important. Moisture is the enemy of crunch! Yea, go ahead and quote me, it’s a good one.
First, open the can of chickpeas, rinsed and drained them. Take two layers of paper towel and place it on the sheet pan. Then in one even layer, spread out the chickpeas on the paper towel. Let the paper towels draw out moisture while they sit out for at least 30. If you notice that the paper towel gets too wet, change it out for a new dry one.
2 – Roast them “naked” for the majority of time. They are racy little things aren’t they! So again, this lends upon tip #1 – no moisture. When the chickpeas are very dry from airing out and the paper towel, remove the paper towel and begin roasting just as they are. No oil or seasoning just yet. Roast this way for twenty minutes.
ADD OIL AND SEASONING
This recipe calls for olive oil, but you could use a different kind if you prefer. Grapeseed oil, coconut oil, avocado oil. Or if you have a dietary requirement which restricts you from using oil, you could omit it all together!
I used a “chili lime” seasoning from Trader Joe’s and a bit of salt. I love the citrusy zing of it, not too spicy but just a little kick. And if you think it’s good on chickpeas, just try it on a MANGO! Heaven..
Now if you don’t have that or wouldn’t enjoy it feel free to make your own seasoning combination. Think curry blends, chili powder, cumin, tumeric, ginger, salt, … cayenne pepper.. whatever..
Oil or no oil, and seasoned. Now return to oven and roast another 10 minutes. After that they should be ready to pop in your mouth and crunch away!
Crispy Crunchy Roasted Chili-Lime Chickpeas
- 15 oz can of chickpeas rinsed, drained, dried
- 1 tsp olive oil
- ½ tsp chili lime seasoning or whatever u like
- pinch kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. I used "convection roast" setting to circulate the heat.
- Drain and rinse chickpeas. Line a baking sheet with paper towel, place chick peas on paper towel in single layer. Let paper towel soak up moisture for at least 20 minutes. You want the chickpeas very dry. If they are still wet, change out damp paper towel for a dry one and let continue to air dry.
- Remove paper towel and place baking sheet in oven. Start the crisping by roasting the chickpeas "naked" for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven, and olive oil and seasoning, gently toss to coat the chickpeas with oil and spice. Return to oven and bake an additional 10 minutes.
- Turn heat off, open oven door and let chickpeas rest in oven for another 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and start snacking!