This dish is like a hybrid between a salad and a salsa. Cool and refreshing, it pairs perfectly with sunshine, happiness and laughter. OK, that’s not a real pairing- but that’s just how I feel when I have this citrusy, zesty, light and bright beauty on my table! It’s a feast for your eyes… but wait treat for your tastebuds!
Marinade the shrimp in spices and lime juice for 30 min at room temperature. In meantime, get chopping- cherry tomatoes, radishes, cucumbers, and red onion. Place in serving bowl with fire roasted corn kernels, black beans, cilantro, and queso fresco. Make jalapeno, chili, lime dressing and reserve.
Pan sear marinated shrimp in batches, remove tails. Add shrimp and dressing to the chopped veggies/watermelon and toss to combine.
Chili, Lime and Shrimp Chopped Mexican Salad
For the Vinaigrette
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 tsp. chili lime salt available at Trader Joe’s
- 1 tsp red wine vinegar
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tbsp jalepeno seeded and finely minced
For the Shrimp
- 1.5 lbs shrimp raw, peeled and deveined
- 2 tsp lime juice fresh squeezed
- 2 tsp olive oil extra virgin
- ½ tsp lime zest
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp chili powder
- ¼ tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
For the Salad
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes quartered
- 1 whole English cucumber diced
- 1 half small red onion finely chopped
- 2 cups fire roasted corn kernels fresh, frozen or canned. *dethaw if using frozen*
- 1 can black beans rinsed and drained
- 3/4 cup queso blanco crumbled
- ½ cup fresh cilantro leaves roughly chopped
- Combine lime juice, lime zest, paprika, cumin, chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and olive oil. Whisk together to make marinade.
- Add the shrimp and toss to evenly coat. Let sit at room temperature for 30 min.
- Meanwhile find the salad bowl you would like to serve your dish in. No need for extra dishes! Add quartered cherry tomatoes, diced cucumbers, minced red onion, diced watermelon, corn kernels and minced radishes, black beans, queso blanco, chopped cilantro. Set aside.
- Make the dressing by combining lime juice, chili lime salt, red wine vinegar, minced jalapeno, garlic, salt and pepper. Gradually whisk in olive oil and emulsify.
- Heat nonstick pan over medium high heat. Add shrimp in batches. Do not overcrowd pan. Sear for 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Repeat until all shrimp has been seared. Let cool to touch
- To remove tails gently pinch the tail where it meets the body of the shrimp using index finger and thumb. Hold the body with other 2 fingers. Pinch and twist to remove the tail while keeping the body intact.
- Add shrimp to salad. Cover and chill, if made in advance.
- Add dressing just before serving and toss everything together to combine and salt and pepper, to taste.