This sauce is so easy to whip up and is absolutely plate lickin’, lip smacking good! I originally made it to top my Lemon Ricotta Belgian waffles, but this fruit topping could also be enjoyed on yogurt, ice cream, cheesecake, pancakes or french toast.
Also if Blackberries are not in season or not your jam, one could substitute with a different berry of preference like blueberries, raspberries or strawberries.
- 3 cups blackberries divided
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 3 tsp lemon juice
- 7 Tbs water divided
- 2 Tbsp arrowroot flour or corn starch
- In a saucepan over low/medium heat combine 2 cups of blackberries, sugar, lemon juice and 3 tablespoons of water and bring to a boil.
- Simmer for 5 mins, then add remaining 1 cup of blackberries. Stir.
- In seprete bowl make thickener with 4 tbsp of water and arrowroot flour together and whisk until completely incorporated.
- Add thickener to simmering fruit topping
- Continue cooking until sauce thickens, about 3-4 minutes.
- Remove from heat and either serve warm over pancakes or waffles or cool to use for cheesecake, yogurt or ice cream