Jump to Recipe
No exaggeration- these are THE BEST black bean burgers I have ever had!! Oven toasted black beans, mixed with quinoa, onion, garlic, red pepper, chipotle peppers, and spices for a smokey, southwestern style flavor. Serve on a Brioche Bun with limey smashed avocados and a homemade chipotle mayo!
Now I know everyone stocked up on canned black beans right??
Well I sure did! If you are anything like me, you are in need of some new recipes to utilize all those cans of beans! And I’m tired of chili and burritos!
Luckily, you are in the right place, because these vegetarian black bean burgers, use not just one – but TWO cans of black beans- and are so wholesome and flavorful you won’t miss the meat at all!
Chipotle Black Bean Quinoa Burgers check all the boxes!
This is a strange time, I know! Our daily routines have totally changed, and certainly the access to fresh ingredients is changing!
These Black Bean Quinoa Burgers check all of the critical boxes for me (and probably you!) right now!
Black Bean Burgers are a “pantry recipe” dream come true!
Black Bean Quinoa Burgers are high in protein and nutrition
While these Black Bean Burgers could be cooked on a grill, they are just a good baked in the oven! Leaving you completely unreliant upon the fickle Spring Weather!
Black Bean Quinoa Burgers are budget friendly!
This recipe is easy to double and freezer friendly if you want to save for quick easy lunches or dinner another time!
Ingredients for Chipotle Black Bean Quinoa Burgers
Non Perishable Items and Pantry Staples:
Canned Black Beans
Chipotle Pepper in Adobo
SPICES: Cumin, Garlic Powder, Chili Powder, Smoked Paprika, Salt
HOW TO MAKE THE BEST Chipotle Black Bean Quinoa Burgers
First dry out the black beans by roasting on baking sheet. While beans are baking saute onion, garlic and bell pepper with olive oil until softened.
Transfer the black beans, onion, garlic, pepper, chipotle pepper, lime zest, cumin, garlic powder, chili powder, smoked paprika, and salt to a food processor. Pulse about 10 times to mix!
Make sure that you don’t pulse too much! You don’t want to have a paste. You want to be able to visually distinguish the different ingredients.
Transfer bean mixture to a large mixing bowl. Add eggs, greek yogurt (or sour cream), quinoa and shredded cheese. Use fork to combine. Mixture will be a bit wet.
Add breadcrumbs and mix again. Let sit for about 5 minutes, giving to breadcrumbs time to soak up the moisture from eggs.
Use about 1/2 cup of black bean mixture for each burger, gently mold into a patty and place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. I was able to make 6 evenly sized patties!
Bake in 400 degree oven for 10 minutes, flip over, then bake another 10 minutes.
What toppings should I add to Chipotle Black Bean Quinoa Burgers
In this photo, you can see that I served our Black Bean Quinoa Burgers on a Brioche Bun (my favorite burger bun!!) with a slice of melted Colby Jack cheese, lettuce, tomato and red onion. I also made a Homemade Chipotle Mayo and Limey Avocado Smash!
Can I make Chipotle Black Bean Quinoa Burgers in Advance?
Stack cooked or uncooked burgers between parchment paper in a freezer safe container or zip-lock bag.
Will keep 3 months. When ready to use, cook from frozen or thawed. If cooking from frozen, cooking time will be a little longer.
THE BEST Chipotle Black Bean Quinoa Burgers
- 2 15 oz cans of black beans rinsed and drained and patted dry
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup onion chopped
- ½ cup red bell pepper chopped
- 1 chipotle pepper (in adobo sauce)
- 3 clove garlic chopped
- ½ tsp lime zest
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp Greek yogurt or sour cream
- 1 cup quinoa cooked
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup shredded pepper jack cheese or other melty type cheese
- ½ cup bread crumbs or Rice Crumbs (GF)
- 1 avocado
- 1 juice from lime
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 3 tbsp mayo
- 1 tsp chipotle adobe sauce from can or chipotle in adobe
- ½ tsp lime zest
Chipotle Black Bean Quinoa Burgers
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spread black beans evenly onto baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes until slightly dried out. Remove from oven and let cool. Then bump temperature up to 400°.
- Meanwhile, saute the onion, garlic, and bell pepper with 1 tbsp olive oil until just softened, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat, to cook off
- Using a food processor, combine: black beans, onion, garlic, pepper, chipotle pepper, lime zest, cumin, garlic powder, chili powder, smoked paprika, and salt. Give it about 10 quick pulses. * You are looking to combine all ingredients together, but still keep some texture of the black beans. Do not puree into a paste! *
- Transfer bean mixture to a large mixing bowl. Add eggs, quinoa, greek yogurt and shredded cheese. Use fork to combine. Mixture will be a bit wet. Add breadcrumbs and mix again. Let sit for about 5 minutes, giving to breadcrumbs time to soak up the moisture from eggs.
- Taking about 1/2 cup of black bean mixture for each burger, gently mold into a patty and place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. (you should have 6 evenly sized patties)
- Bake 10 minutes, flip, then bake another 10 minutes. Or on grill, Place patties on greased aluminum foil and grill 8 minutes on each side over medium high heat.
- To serve like me: use toasted Brioche bun with lettuce, tomato, slice of cheese (i used Colby Jack) smashed avocado, and chipotle mayo. Heaven!!!
- Smash together avocado, lime juice, and salt
- Combine mayo, adobo sauce, lime zest. Refrigerate until ready to use.