Jump to Recipe
Bacon Wrapped Jalapeño & Cheddar Tater Tots are the most amazing little flavor BOMBS -sure to be a hit with any crowd! Crispy, crunchy tater tots are simple to make, budget friendly, and a perfect finger food for any occasion! Caution, they are as addicting as they sound!
Call in the Bomb Squad! Bacon Wrapped Tater Tots AKA Tater Tot Bombs are aptly named; they are dangerously delicious!
Bacon Wrapped Tater Tots are perfect bite sized crispy, cheesy, savory little morsels that require nothing but two fingers to pop right in your mouth, which may or may not be already salivating by the irresistible smell of bacon wafting through the air.
And more good news! Bacon Wrapped Tater Tots are so easy to make, you might want to even delegate the assembly to one of your kids! Cheap labor! However, I do recommend assembling the Tater Tot Bombs in advance. That way all you have to do before your guests arrive is slide them in the oven to bake!
Ingredients for Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Cheddar Tater Tots
YOU ONLY NEED 5 INGREDIENTS!!
Tater Tots: Found in the freezer section of your local market, near the french fries.
Bacon: a thinner variety will give you a crisper result.
Jalapeños: It’s just a thin little slice that gets rolled up with the cheddar cheese. Don’t worry about it being too spicy! They aren’t!
Cheddar Cheese : Now personally, I would go sharp. But Mild Cheddar would work fine too. Even a Monterey Jack or a Pepper Jack would be delicious.
Brown Sugar: The assembled Bacon Wrapped Tater Tot get rolled in a light coating of brown sugar as the last step before baking. OMG! It caramelizes and ensures the outside to be super crisp, with a bit of sweetness to balance out the savoriness.
THE KEY TO REALLY CRISPY Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Cheddar Tater Tots
I highly recommend using a baking sheet with a cooling rack. The upper rack allows for the bacon fat to drip down to the bottom rack. Having a little space gives the Tater Tot Bacon Bombs room to cook evenly on all sides, not just on the top. I use this type of baking sheet anytime I cook something with a high fat or water content that will leak out in the baking process. I like to elevate my food out of the grease or water.
How to Assemble Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Cheddar Tater Tots
1- Lay one tater tot on the edge of one quarter of a slice of bacon.
2- Place small cube of cheese and jalapeno strip next to tater top.
3- Roll the bacon around the tater tot, cheese cube and jalapeno slice. Press together at the seam
4- Roll the Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Cheddar Tater Tot on a plate of brown sugar. Use your fingers to press the brown sugar coating to the bacon.
5- Place on wire rack of prepared baking sheet and repeat. When all are finished, store in the fridge until you are ready to bake.
6- In preheated 400 degree oven, bake for 20-25 minutes. Or until bacon is crispy brown sugar caramelizes!
I hope you have more self control than I did!
Try My Other Party App Recipes!
Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno & Cheddar Tater Tots
- 40 frozen tater tots
- 20 slices bacon quartered
- 2 jalapeños seeded and sliced into 40 thin strips
- 5 oz cheddar cheese mild or sharp, cut into ¼ cubes
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Using a sheet pan with a baking/cooling rack, line the bottom baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment; set aside.
- Working one at a time, wrap each tater tot and cheese square and jalapeno slice in a quarter of a slice of bacon. Dredge each tater tot in the brown sugar, pressing to coat. place on rack of prepared baking sheet. Repeat working through all of the ingredients.
- Place each wrapped tater tot seam side down on rack of prepared baking sheet. Repeat working through all of the ingredients.
- Place into oven and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until bacon is crispy brown sugar caramelizes.
- Serve immediately, garnished with chive or scallions, if desired